Monday 6 October 2014

Spain Day 1

As we arrive from the Ocean depths we survey the vista and are relieved that the start takes us  East as the west of Santander is flanked by some formidable looking lumps of rock. It really feels Spanish  I declare it should do we  we are in Spain the Commander informs me. We leave the ferry to catch yet another very small shuttle taking this across the bay of Santander. Something is already happening in Spain which I thoroughly approve of. The commander is disgusted as he's just been charged .40 cents for a piss. I chuckle to myself as I consider that he may spend more on this tour pissing than eating. It's only fair I exclaim 'Why should people like me be subsidising people like you? The boat fires up and across the bay we go. We leave Santander on the 141 and a dream road by any standards.  A fantastic 287 metre climb out of Santander and We benefit  a prevailing wind up the backside. We make good progress to Santona where we catch yet another shuttle ferry playing extremely mosque type chants through loudspeakers. The commander is more than pleased with this planning and I congratulate him accordingly. However 10 miles later disaster strikes commanders granny gear is hanging off. To his credit he completed some two and a half thousand feet in middle cog. On the outskirts of Bilbao we find a cycle shop and 5 euros job  done (The shop assistant was also particularly appealing)which is great as we will have no downtime tomorrow morning. Pleased with today though we didn't start till 130 and acheived nearly 70 miles 4000 feet of climbing in what was a far more lumpy ride than I expected  - we now sit down to enjoy a few beers in this bustling city at 22 degrees-  have  found accommodation over the road and will update tomorrow where we hope to be in San Sabastian with signs hanging round the neck stressing 'I'm not a  Pilgrim'

Love to All

Commander Parker and P. D. E. Workman 







No comments:

Post a Comment