Tuesday 7 October 2014

Into France Day 3

A good nights sleep last night. I was awoken this morning to what I perceived as tinnitus but relieved to discover it was an alien mosquito in my left ear. Last nights meal was again adequate but we were the victims of local politics.  Instead of sending us to a perfectly good well priced restaurant 20 yards away(which we have missed) we were directed to the British rail cafe outside the station. The pasta dishes were microwaved and to this we were somewhat relieved as the hygiene of the Barman had much to be desired. The commander and I both decided that judging by his cough and indeed his capacity for a drink he should only be taxing his car six months at a time. I knew I was in Rugby country as madame ( of the hotel ) showed me proudly next morning a picture of her three sons all playing in the front row - iall  different ages the youngest being Hooker. 
Leave the Hotel grabbing food on the way through Lidel - The commander is a big fan of this shop based on its pricing structure. We then encounter of 500 foot climb out of the village with the wind in our face and  dancing autumnal leaves everywhere. A bumpy ride along the coastline through Biarritz and then on to Bayonne. I feel happy to be in France I still consider it my second country and feel more than at home 
We stopped for chocolate in Bayonne and then a fantastic ride along the river Pau. This was all down to the commander he Mapped this route out in military fashion. The flat Road ensured that the troops were still reasonably full of energy in the end of the day. It was better than pretty we were flanked all the way by kiwifruit plantations and withering maize ready for the chop. We rode for some 25 miles of seeing only three cars.  iWe rode in 30° of temperature. The ride reminded me of last year only three days from Rome. I considered the thoughts going through my head at this point in time following the loss of my parents and concluded that one year on I was in a far better place. 
We enjoyed lunch at a town along the river valley with the bench all to ourselves. This was followed by fantastic progress into Pau. As we approach Pau the foothills of the Pyrenees beckon us for a punch-up We sit and enjoy the obligatory beer to find out afterwards every hotel and the time is booked up. Its tourism conference - A strange concept as The event is totally disruptive for tourists. We find ourselves now 6K out of Pau both in disabled apartments  - there massive ! with our bikes in our rooms ( nice) as it's out of town not much about - 90 miles dead today but only 2500ft climbing.  We have  two plans for tomorrow either hit base camp and park up ( Luz St Sauvier) or if the roads not too hard from here tomorrow we have plans to accent  the Tourmalet  tomorrow afternoon. Homework done and some accommodation available on the descent if we confirm by midday tomorrow. The commander and I will make the decision tomorrow. Off for some food now and touch base tomorrow hopefully at the top of the Pyrenees

Les Cyclists x








No comments:

Post a Comment